What your pet can eat on Halloween

It’s the spookiest month of the year! Who doesn’t love Halloween? Or should we say… Howlloween?

Let’s welcome the spooky season by doing fun festive activities with our furry friends! Trick or treat can be tricky with a pet around the house. Since chocolate, raisins, and other goods with artificial sweeteners are actually toxic for them! How can we celebrate Halloween with our pets?

Things pawrents should look out for

As a general rule, pets should not be indulging in any Halloween candy we would give to hoomans. But these are especially what we have to keep away from our pets:

  • Chocolate – of all forms! Doesn’t matter if it’s dark, milk, or white chocolate – do not give your pet chocolate at all. They contain theobromine, a compound that our furry friends cannot tolerate.
  • Raisins & Grapes – are something very toxic to dogs and can cause a lot of harm to their kidneys.
  • Sugar-free candy – contains Xylitol which can cause further health issues in pets.
  • Candy Wrappers – are a huge hazard this season too. When our friends are overly excited, they might ingest these, and end up choking!
  • Candy corn – and other classic Halloween candy can cause a lot of harm due to their high sugar content.
  • Costumes – are cute but pawrents should stay cautious! They’re also a huge choking hazard. Also, the weather in Thailand is hot and humid, so if you’ve got a thick-coat baby, consider other costume alternatives for your friend.

What they can eat 

Don’t get discouraged by the list of forbidden goodies! We can still celebrate and enjoy Halloween with our pets. There are so many healthy options left for us to enjoy safely. Keep in mind that these foods should not be seasoned or spiced. Like everything, moderation is key!

Here are some ideas outside of the typical treats you can find in stores:

  • Pumpkin (both fresh & puree form will work)
  • Berries (limited quantity)
  • Carrots
  • Peanut Butter (natural, unsweetened is best)
  • Tuna (an option for the cat parents too!)
  • Corn
  • Cheese (very small amounts, as it contains dairy)

Symptoms of poisoning

If you suspect that your pet has gotten into the candy stash, call your veterinarian ASAP. There’s a calculator you can also use to determine how much chocolate will be toxic for your pets you should check out here. If you are not sure how much chocolate your fur baby has gotten into, immediately seek veterinary advice.

Signs of poisoning include: 

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of coordination
  • Excessive thirst
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Seizures

Keep your beloved pet safe this Halloween season! Remember: you can still enjoy the festivities and this howl-liday together, just be mindful of what your little furry friend consumes and keep an eye out for any possible hazards. If you suspect your pet has ingested substances that can be harmful to their health, immediately contact your veterinarian.

👩‍⚕️👨‍⚕️ MyFriend’s Healthcare is where you can find all content that is vet-verified to take better care of your pet’s health! Both local and international sources so every pawrent can get a well-rounded understanding of how to care for your pet’s physical and emotional health!

🐶🐱 MyFriend, your pet’s app. Where pet parents can find all services and content to take better care of their best friends!



Enjoyed the article? Share with a Friend!